Today's Labour News

newsThis news aggregator site highlights South African labour news from a wide range of internet and print sources. Each posting has a synopsis of the source article, together with a link or reference to the original. Postings cover the range of labour related matters from industrial relations to generalist human resources.

gunGroundUp reports that following the murder of two security guards in Philippi East last week, members of an extortion gang stated that they, and not security companies, should be paid to protect City of Cape Town infrastructure and workers.

“All we want is for the government to understand that the protection of their workers and companies contracted to them is our business,” stated one of two members of a Philippi gang that GroundUp spoke to on Friday. The pair said neither they nor their gang were involved in shooting the security guards on 23 April, but claimed a rival gang was responsible. The extortionists said they and other gangs had met and agreed that security companies would be attacked if they came into their areas. The security companies were doing what the gangs are “supposed to be doing”, and by attacking them “we are showing they are useless”, the extortionists indicated. They said if government paid the gangs to protect infrastructure and staff, there would be no intimidation, threats or killings. Government employees and their contractors were targeted because “the government does not seem to want to negotiate with us”. The gangsters warned: “There will be no security company coming to our areas and escorting government workers and their contracted companies because that duty is for us to do. When the government does not want to meet us half-way, more lives will be lost and there will be bloodshed.” They said what they wanted from the authorities was “a few thousands of rands from the millions of rands that they are paying the security companies”. One of the gang members added: “R50,000 a month to protect workers from five different areas would not harm the government.” . Mayco Member for Water and Sanitation Zahid Badroodien said the City was “shocked at the senseless act which had claimed the lives of two men hard at work serving the community”.

  • Read the full original of the report in the above regard by Sandiso Phaliso at GroundUp


Get other news reports at the SA Labour News home page