Today's Labour News

newsThis news aggregator site highlights South African labour news from a wide range of internet and print sources. Each posting has a synopsis of the source article, together with a link or reference to the original. Postings cover the range of labour related matters from industrial relations to generalist human resources.

iecNews24 reports that an employee of the Electoral Commission of SA (IEC) has been identified as having leaked the ANC and uMkhonto weSizwe (MK) Party candidate lists on Friday.

In a briefing on Monday evening, IEC CEO Sy Mamabolo said a preliminary investigation had found that the leak emanated inside the commission. On Tuesday morning, he told Newzroom Afrika that the official had been fired. "The official was given an opportunity to make representation as to why they should not be terminated and we received the representation, and on that basis [the commission] terminated the relationship of employment," he reported. In a statement later that day, confirming that an official had been dismissed because of the incident, the IEC said the official had rights to access the system and reports but was not authorised to distribute or circulate the information. "The motive for the unauthorised circulation will be pursued as part of the ongoing investigation," the statement advised. The commission said the employee was from one of its local offices. On Friday, hours after parties submitted their candidate lists to the IEC, the ANC and MK Party's lists, containing people's ID numbers, started making the rounds on social media. This was despite the ANC having announced at a press briefing earlier in the day that it would only make its list public on Monday. Mamabolo said the commission only became aware of the leak, and that the lists were circulating on social media, on Saturday. The commission is cooperating with the Information Regulator in regard to the matter.

  • Read the full original of the report in the above regard by Bongekile Macupe at News24
  • Lees ook, Amptenaar afgedank oor uitgelekte kandidaatlyste, by Maroela Media


Get other news reports at the SA Labour News home page