Today's Labour News

newsThis news aggregator site highlights South African labour news from a wide range of internet and print sources. Each posting has a synopsis of the source article, together with a link or reference to the original. Postings cover the range of labour related matters from industrial relations to generalist human resources.

limpopo thumb100 TimesLIVE reports that health workers in Limpopo have won their fight to ensure a new roster system is not implemented in the province.

Limpopo Health MEC Dr Phophi Ramathuba has withdrawn two circulars issued by her department last month in an effort to reduce overtime claims by introducing a new roster system. The latest circular on Tuesday, signed by Ramathuba, informed all district executive managers, chief executives officers, head of institutions, head of vertical programmes, heads of human resources and staff that all previous circulars had been suspended indefinitely and withdrawn with immediate effect. Last week, health workers — mostly doctors — protested against the new roster system, but according to the MEC, none of the hospitals in the province had implemented the new rosters. She explained that the province had wanted to pilot the new roster system in an effort to regulate overtime claimed by workers. “People claimed for overtime before they could work their 40 hours,” Ramathuba said. The Public Servants Association’s (PSA’s) John Teffo said the health workers were against the new system because it was going to affect them negatively in many ways. He commented that it was sad that it took threats about striking and picketing for the employer to suspend the new roster and that the decision could have been taken much earlier if the department had been willing to listen to workers’ concerns.

  • Read the full original of the report in the above regard by Belinda Pheto at TimesLIVE


Get other news reports at the SA Labour News home page