SaftuIndependent Media reports that the SA Federation of Trade Unions (Saftu) has reiterated its rejection of SA’s ambitious Economic Reconstruction and Recovery Plan (ERRP) as it plans to embark on a nationwide general strike to highlight growing poverty, unemployment and inequality in the country.  

The federation on Tuesday indicated it was planning to stage one of its pickets at Parliament when Finance Minister Tito Mboweni delivers his Budget Speech on Thursday next week, while other mass demonstrations will be held in various provinces.  The ERRP was unveiled late last year as an outcome of a social compact at Nedlac to help advance SA’s economic recovery and reconstruction, through infrastructure investment, mobilisation of capital and increased localisation, among other means.  Saftu deputy general-secretary Moleko Phakedi said while President Cyril Ramaphosa had indicated the ERRP was already being implemented, the federation and its affiliates were opposed to it as it reduced the country’s socio-economic challenges to the Covid-19 economic damage.  Phakedi indicated that they would put all measures in place for the upcoming strike action to ensure that it was compliant with Covid-19 regulations across provinces.  Saftu general-secretary Zwelinzima Vavi pointed out that a number of Saftu’s affiliated unions had submitted a Section 77 notice at Nedlac for the upcoming protest action in a bid to protect workers.  “This means that no employer may victimise or penalise any worker who chose to participate in the strike whether those workers are members of a different union or not a member of any union. Every worker who chooses to participate in the strike has legal protection,” he said.


Get other news reports at the SA Labour News home page