Today's Labour News

newsThis news aggregator site highlights South African labour news from a wide range of internet and print sources. Each posting has a synopsis of the source article, together with a link or reference to the original. Postings cover the range of labour related matters from industrial relations to generalist human resources.

sabcIndependent News reports that more than 400 jobs are back on the line at the SA Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) after a short-lived victory that saw the public broadcaster’s group executive for news withdraw retrenchment notices late on Tuesday afternoon.  

A heated and emotional meeting between SABC management and newsroom staff saw Phathiswa Magopeni, the group executive for news and current affairs, succumb to the pressure she faced from staff who were pleading with management to stop the retrenchments.  There was a blackout as staff refused to go on air because of the looming retrenchments at the broadcaster.  In an urgent update, released on Wednesday morning, the SABC said:  “In light of the unfortunate incident which took place at our news division last night, please note that the Section 189 process is continuing as planned.  SABC management and its board apologise for any confusion that was created yesterday afternoon.  Management will engage with the news team on the concerns that they have raised.”  Last week, the SABC said it planned to issue retrenchment notices to 400 workers in a bid to save R700m a year for the next three years.  The SABC also said it would restructure the organisation, freeze salaries for three years, end the leave encashment policy and review its sick and annual leave policies in a bid to make the broadcaster viable.

  • Read the full original of the report in the above regard by Sihle Mlambo at Independent News


Get other news reports at the SA Labour News home page