Today's Labour News

newsThis news aggregator site highlights South African labour news from a wide range of internet and print sources. Each posting has a synopsis of the source article, together with a link or reference to the original. Postings cover the range of labour related matters from industrial relations to generalist human resources.

UIFBusinessLive reports that the website for the Unemployment Insurance Fund’s (UIF’s) Covid-19 relief benefit has been taken down again because it continues to show the confidential information of applicants.  

The Temporary Employer/Employee Relief Scheme (Ters) has been hit by ongoing technical issues, including problems with its registration system.  It was established in March to provide relief to those in formal employment who might lose their incomes due to the coronavirus lockdown.  Last week, the applications site for June had to be taken down when the system showed the confidential information of employers, company names, bank account details and payroll information, which was accessible by applicants.  Business for SA’s Rob Legh confirmed that the site went live again at 10pm on Monday, but that the same problem persisted and it had to be taken down once again.  UIF commissioner Teboho Maruping said on Sunday that the glitch was found when the system opened up for the June applications.  He said the UIF was not yet sure whether there was an attack from outside or whether it was an internal issue.  It has taken considerable time for the Ters benefits to be accessed by the intended beneficiaries, and some that applied in April have still not been paid.

  • Read the full original of the report in the above regard by Genevieve Quintal at BusinessLive


Get other news reports at the SA Labour News home page