Today's Labour News

newsThis news aggregator site highlights South African labour news from a wide range of internet and print sources. Each posting has a synopsis of the source article, together with a link or reference to the original. Postings cover the range of labour related matters from industrial relations to generalist human resources.

ancCity Press reports that the ANC has distanced itself from a document bearing its letterhead, suggesting that Luthuli House has been warning its ministers that the appointment of senior staff must be guided by the party’s deployment committee.  

The document – authenticity of which the ANC has repudiated – states that government’s directors-general, as well as executives at state-owned entities, chairpersons and board members, must always get the nod from its deployment committee, which is headed by Deputy President David Mabuza.  The document had been circulating recently, but the ANC had remained mum about it until Saturday, when it issued a general statement in response to media queries.  Contrary to the contents of the circulated memorandum, ANC spokesperson Pule Mabe said the party did not claim ownership, adding that “government appointments are made under clearly defined rules and regulations, as stipulated in the Public Service Act”.  However, City Press verified the document with at least three independent and highly placed sources in government and in Luthuli House, who said there was a constant need to keep reminding ministers of the strict processes that needed to be followed to ensure that strategic appointments in government complied with ANC policy.  The deployment committee, chaired by Mabuza and coordinated by ANC deputy secretary-general Jessie Duarte, is intended to help the government place “suitable” candidates.

  • Read the full original of the detailed report in the above regard by Setumo Stone at City Press


Get other news reports at the SA Labour News home page