gavel thumb100 TimesLIVE reports that a 53-year-old Chinese national has been granted R20,000 bail in the Durban Magistrate's Court in connection with charges related to contravening the Disaster Management Act.  

The man was arrested by a multidisciplinary team on Sunday for allegedly locking up 14 employees for several days and forcing them to produce masks in response to the demand created by the outbreak of the coronavirus.  At the time of publishing, the man had not posted bail.  His next appearance was set down for 20 June.  Meanwhile, the Chinese consulate in Durban expressed shock at the arrest of the man whom they said was “working hard to help KZN in its fighting against the (Corona) virus”.  In a statement, the Consulate General of China in Durban said “the factory located in Glen Anil Durban was specially set up to help KZN people's fighting against the virus last week”.


Get other news reports at the SA Labour News home page