ramaphosa2BusinessLive reports that as many as 1-million youths could benefit from a paid internship programme devised by the state, unions and business.  

Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa said on Wednesday the new youth employment programme would be rolled out in two years — instead of three — during which 1-million young people would be placed in paid internships to gain experience.  "I still want … this to be 1-million people within two years.  We are … still negotiating.  We might be able to get there," Ramaphosa said in the National Council of Provinces.  President Jacob Zuma previously indicated that the cost of the internship programme would be absorbed by the private sector and supported by a negotiated package of government incentives.  Toyota, Nestle, Goodyear and Cipla had put up their hands to be part of the initiative, Ramaphosa indicated.


Get other news reports at the SA Labour News home page