news shutterstockIn our Tuesday roundup, see summaries
of our selection of South African labour-
related stories that have appeared since
midday on Monday, 17 October 2016.


OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH & SAFETY

Six in dock for murders of two North West cops

ANA reports that six men accused of killing two policemen in separate incidents in North West appeared briefly in the Brits Regional Court on Monday.  Thulani Mtshali, Mduduzi Gumede and Bhekizitha Madondo, who are accused of killing Constable John Mokotedi at a shopping mall in Bapong south of Brits on 4 November last year, appeared for the first time in the regional court.  Their case was postponed to 8 November.  In a separate matter, the case against Samuel Maphanga, Ndoda Mathibefazi and Jonathan Seloane, who are accused of killing Warrant Officer Sipho Sithole in Letlhabile north of Brits on 14 November last year, was postponed to 10 November.

Read this report in full at IOL News

Paramedics robbed at knife point at Howick Falls

TMG Digital reports that on Tuesday morning two ER24 paramedics were robbed of their cell phones and cash at Howick Falls in KwaZulu-Natal.  ER24’s paramedics often stand by at the well-known tourist attraction spot.  The two female paramedics were inside their vehicle when they were approached by a young male brandishing a large knife.  The man threatened to cause severe harm to the paramedics if they did hand over their cell phones and all the cash in their wallets.  He fled with two Samsung cell phones and R110 in cash.  The number of incidents involving attacks on paramedics and other essential services workers is on the rise in South Africa.

Read this report in full at TimesLive

Other internet posting(s) in this news category

  • Long distance truck drivers must take better care of themselves, warns doctor, at The New Age


MINING LABOUR

Amcu clarifies position on platinum wage negotiations; delays mass meeting

On Friday, Mineweb reported that the Association of Mineworkers and Construction Union (Amcu) was due to hold a meeting on Saturday, 15 October 2016 in Rustenburg to present the details to members of a possible wage deal with platinum producers.  Subsequent to that report, Amcu spokesperson Manzini Zungu told Mineweb that due to logistical reasons, the mass meeting had been postponed.  Zungu also indicated that the union has tentatively scheduled a press briefing for Thursday, 27 October, at which it would address the media on developments in respect of the platinum wage negotiations.  Manzini also stressed that at the mass meeting, leadership would present the deal to members and not recommend it as had been previously reported.

A short report by Warren Dick is at Mineweb

Mining “TRC Two” seen as a first step towards addressing trust deficit

BusinessLive reports that according to Neal Froneman, CEO of Sibanye Gold and vice-president of the Chamber of Mines, the establishment of a process such as the Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC) is needed to build trust in the fractured mining industry.  The TRC marked the end of apartheid and the start of reconciliation.  While not being too prescriptive, Froneman last week said the establishment of "TRC Two" would clear much of the bad blood and distrust that marked engagements between the companies, unions and the government on charting a sustainable and inclusive future for the industry at a particularly difficult time.  Froneman added:  “Without fail, every Chamber member understands the debilitating trust deficit that exists and we are debating how best to resolve it… There is no other way for us all to align behind a new, common vision and without it we will not have a sustainable industry."

Read this report by Allan Seccombe in full at BusinessLive.  Read too, We won’t be holding our breath for change in the mining industry, at Mineweb

Other labour posting(s) in this news category

  • Keaton Energy sees poor safety performance at Vanggatfontein, at Mining Review
  • World Bank expands efforts to drive access to TB-related services for mineworkers, at Mining Review


MARIKANA DEATHS / FARLAM INQUIRY REPORT

Phiyega frustrated with pace of inquiry into her future

TimesLive reports that suspended national police commissioner Riah Phiyega has expressed frustration with the pace of the board inquiry probing her fitness to hold office.  The Claassen board of inquiry concluded hearings on 3 June.  But, it missed its August deadline to submit its final report to President Jacob Zuma, blaming the delay on chairman Neels Claassen's health.  But Phiyega accused the board of using the chairman's health as a "blanket excuse".  The inquiry stems from the judicial commission of inquiry into the 16 August 2012 Marikana massacre.

Read this report by Sipho Mabena in full at TimesLive

Marikana lessons: This is our new normal, says Lonmin boss on #FeesMustFall

City Press reports that Lonmin CE Ben Magara weighed in on the #FeesMustFall protests sweeping SA universities during a recent forum hosted by the Gordon Institute of Business Science.  He said the Marikana disaster had taught Lonmin hard lessons, some of which could be applied to the current student protests sweeping the country.  “The new normal is more conflict, disruption and resentment.  We have to learn how to navigate the situation, because there is not one simple solution.”  Indicating that as sad and as tragic as Marikana was, Magara expressed his belief that “it can be a catalyst for change and a better world.”  While acknowledging that management and the unions were still a long way from achieving the perfect relationship, he said they were both working hard at reaching an understanding.

Read this report in full at City Press


INDUSTRIAL ACTION / STRIKES / LOCK-OUTS

Marathon talks to end Nehawu strike at UniZulu yet to yield results

BusinessLive reports that marathon talks to end the 10-week-long strike by the National Education Health and Allied Workers’ Union (Nehawu) at the University of Zululand (Unizulu) have so far failed.  Hundreds of Nehawu members at Unizulu embarked on a strike on 15 August‚ demanding wage increases, the conversion of temporary staff to permanent employees and eight other demands.  A joint task set up at the urging of higher education minister Blade Nzimande has met at least twice, but they are not getting any closer to an agreement.  The two sides have not been able to agree on two contentious issues — insourcing and pay progression.  Talks are apparently ongoing.

Read this report by Nce Mkhize in full at BusinessLive

Other internet posting(s) in this news category

  • Numsa may embark on retail motor sector strike, at eNCA


RECRUITMENT / STAFFING

Survey shows tradesmen and also executives and managers in short supply

BusinessLive reports the Manpower Group’s annual Talent Shortage Survey indicates that employers are scrambling to hire electricians, carpenters and bricklayers, as well as managers and executives.  Management or executive posts; office support staff such as secretaries and administrative assistants; and engineers are among the most difficult positions to fill.  A total of 750 local employers were surveyed, 34% of whom said they were finding it difficult to fill positions, which was three percentage points higher than in 2015 and a significant 26 percentage points higher than in 2014.  Yet at the same time, SA also has an oversupply of job-seekers who are not suitably qualified.  A significant number of surveyed employers (86%) said they were training and developing employees to fill open positions.

Read this report by Ntsakisi Maswanganyi in full at BusinessLive.  Read too, Skills deficit hurts employers and job-seekers, at Business Report


REMUNERATION / SALARY ADMINISTRATION

Over 500 KZN teachers not paid this year

The Mercury reports that for almost a year, more than 500 teachers in KwaZulu-Natal have not received their salaries, with the provincial education department blaming the problem on the #FeesMustFall campaign.  The department claims the campaign has prevented the SA Qualifications Authority (Saqa) from verifying the qualifications of new employees with universities because tertiary institutions have had disturbances.  The numbers might be far higher, say the SA Democratic Teachers’ Union (Sadtu) and the National Teachers Union (Natu).  But the department is only aware of 250 teachers who have not been paid.  It has now instructed districts to proceed with processing payments, with the proviso that necessary steps including recovery will be taken where it is later found that the qualifications were invalid.

Read this report by Bongani Hans in full at The Mercury


COMMUTING

Taxi drivers block roads in and out of Atteridgeville on Tuesday morning

EWN reports that Tshwane Metro Police (TMPD) reported on Tuesday morning that taxi drivers in Atteridgeville were blocking roads leading into and out of the township, east of Pretoria.  It’s believed a group of taxi owners and drivers are preventing other taxis from moving freely through a taxi rank near the Kalafong Hospital.  Other motorists are also being affected by the blockade.  Officials say at this stage no violent incidents have been reported.

A short report by Dineo Bendile is at EWN

Taxi drivers block Joburg streets on Tuesday

TMG Digital reports that taxi drivers have on Tuesday blocked streets in Johannesburg leading to the Premier’s office‚ the department of safety and the department of transport.  They are demanding that the provincial government speed up the process of releasing permits.  JHB Metro Police spokeswoman Edna Mamonyane advised motorists to avoid the CBD until the taxi drivers disperse.  "We hope that their protest will not last until 3pm.  I am not sure if they have permission to march but I can confirm that they would not have been given permission to block streets‚" she indicated.

A short report is at TimesLive

New cashless ticketing system for Gauteng’s mini-bus taxis unveiled

Engineering News reports that the SA National Taxi Council’s (Santaco’s) commercial arm TaxiChoice on Monday unveiled its new cashless e-ticketing system for minibus taxis on Monday.  The new FairPay electronic fare collection system will be deployed to the 200,000-odd operating taxis in SA over the next three to five years, starting in February along the Johannesburg, Pretoria and Mabopane (JPM) route.  Launched at the Bosman Street Taxi Rank, in Pretoria, the e-ticketing system will allow taxi commuters to pay via smart card, or through their phone, and ultimately by debit card.  The users of the card will be provided with insurance benefits while travelling, including hospital cover, death and disability benefits, besides others.  The GPS-containing equipment installed in the taxis will also promote improved driver behaviour and safety.

Read this report in full at Engineering News.  Read too, Pilot electronic fare collection system for mini-bus taxis launched, at BusinessLive


WEB LINKS TO LABOUR NEWS ARTICLES ON MONDAY, 17 OCTOBER 2016

See our listing of links to labour articles published on the internet on Monday, 17 October 2016 at SA Labour News

 

Get South African labour news reports at SA Labour News