news shutterstockIn our Monday roundup, see summaries
of our selection of South African labour-
related stories that have appeared since
midday on Friday, 14 October 2016.


OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH & SAFETY

Still no closure over Nando’s and McDonald’s workers shot dead by cops

Weekend Argus writes that it has been more than seven months since police shot at Nando’s and McDonald’s workers, killing three people, and the families of the deceased still have no closure.  In February, Phumeza Fudumele, who worked at Nando’s in Sunningdale, Cape Town, was killed when police allegedly opened fire on a taxi transporting staff to Dunoon.  One other worker was injured.  A few weeks later McDonald’s workers in Kuils River came under fire after their taxi was mistaken for one suspected of being involved in an armed robbery.  Two persons died at the scene and six others were wounded.  Apparently, in the Nando’s matter the case has been sent to the NPA for a decision, while in the McDonald’s matter there are still statements from certain police officers outstanding.

Read this report by Siyabonga Kalipa in full at Weekend Argus

Prasa hasn’t kept promise to improve security, says train driver’s widow

Weekend Argus reports that the widow of a train driver who was shot and killed at Netreg train station in July says the Passenger Rail Agency of SA (Prasa) hasn’t kept its promise.  In July Piet Botha was shot and killed during a suspected robbery.  His wife Tania Botha said Prasa promised at her husband’s memorial service to beef up security at the station in order to avoid such incidents from happening again, but since then no one has contacted her.  She has made numerous attempts to get answers from Prasa, but to no avail.  The United National Transport Union’s (UNTU’s) general secretary Steve Harris said they asked Prasa at the time to urgently assess the safety of all its stations across the country and do a proper evaluation of the increased security needed to prevent similar incidents.

Read this report by Siyabonga Kalipa in full at Weekend Argus

Killers sentenced to double life imprisonments for 2011 murders of two cops

ANA reports that three men have each been sentenced in the Mthatha High Court to two life imprisonment terms for the 2011 murders of two Eastern Cape police constables.  As a robbery was taking place at a Somali spaza shop in Tsomo in October 2011, the police were alerted and a shoot-out ensued which resulted in the death of the two officers.  In addition to their double life sentences handed down on Friday, the trio were sentenced to 10 years imprisonment for the murder of an accomplice.  “We have vowed never to rest until those who kill our police officers are arrested and successfully convicted,” Eastern Cape Hawks head Maj-Gen Nyameko Nogwanya said.

Read this report in full at IOL News

Other internet posting(s) in this news category

  • Maties staff to be given extra counselling amid fees protests, at EWN
  • Lutzville farmer charged with murder after worker’s remains found, at Cape Times


MINING LABOUR

Amcu calls mass meeting on Saturday, with platinum wage deal possible

Mineweb reports that the Association of Mineworkers and Construction Union (Amcu) confirmed on Friday that it had called a mass meeting to be held in Rustenburg on Saturday (22 October).  It is said that this may be the most positive sign yet that there will be a peaceful and timeous resolution to the current platinum wage negotiations.  Spokesperson Manzini Zungu confirmed to Mineweb on Friday that they would be recommending a deal to their members, who would vote on accepting it at Saturday’s mass meeting.

A short report by Warren Dick is at Mineweb

Protesting rock drill operators resurface at Gold One’s Modder East mine

Mining Weekly reports that the 66 rock drill operators (RDOs) who were staging an underground sit-in at Gold One’s Modder East operations, in Springs, have resurfaced, the National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) said on Friday.  The RDOs, who were demanding a R250 bonus per blast, spent five days underground without eating and only drinking water.  The NUM added that the RDOs had requested that management not take disciplinary action against them.

A short report is at Mining Weekly

NUM to meet with Gold One on Tuesday to discuss sit-in protestors’ demands

EWN reports that the National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) says it will meet with management of Gold One’s Modder East Operations on Tuesday, to discuss the demands of some of its members who had been staging an underground sit-in.  About 66 rock drill operators last week went on a four-day unprotected strike underground at the mine, refusing to resurface until their demands were met.  Union officials went underground on Friday and successfully convinced them to exit the mine.  The NUM’s Livhuwani Mambmburu said:  “They are still demanding the same R250 bonus per blast.  A committee persuaded them to come up from underground.”

This short report by Koketso Motau is at EWN

Other labour posting(s) in this news category


COLLECTIVE BARGAINING / INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS

Wage strike in retail motor industry looms

Business Report writes that a strike in the retail motor industry, including the automotive component manufacturing sector, has become a real possibility.  This follows the issuance of a certificate on non-resolution of a dispute to the National Union of Metalworkers of SA (Numsa) last week.  It was issued following a negotiation session with the Retail Motor Industry Organisation (RMI).  As things stand, Numsa could give the retail motor industry 48 hours’ notice of a strike.  But according to Jackie Oliver of the RMI, both parties have committed to continue with discussions and test certain principles and wage proposals.  A major issue still in dispute is the wage increase in each of the three years of the proposed agreement.

Read this report by Roy Cokayne in full at Business Report


PROTESTS, MARCHES AND BOYCOTTS

Violence as Sadtu disrupts tests in Khayelitsha

GroundUp reports that on Thursday morning a group of learners from the Bulumko and Joe Slovo Senior Secondary Schools in Khayelitsha, and members of the SA Democratic Teachers Union (Sadtu), entered Injongo Primary School to stop the systemic tests which learners were writing.  Each learner writes these tests, in language and mathematics, once every three years.  Apparently Sadtu in Khayelitsha last week called a meeting, to which the Congress of South African Students (Cosas) was invited, at which it was agreed that no schools should write the tests.  When students went around to schools, ostensibly to stop the exams from happening, there were violent scenes.  A student from Bulumko has accused the principal of one school of pulling a knife on her when students entered his school.   But the principal says he picked the knife up from the ground where it had been dropped by a student.  

Read this report by Nombulelo Damba-Hendrik in full at GroundUp


UNION STRUCTURES / UNION ORGANISATIONAL REPORTS

Cosatu wants Numsa to cough up R3.2m in outstanding affiliation fees

TMG Digital reports that the National Union of Metalworkers of SA (Numsa) says it has received a letter from attorneys representing labour federation Cosatu demanding that it pay R3.25mn in outstanding affiliation fees.  Cosatu has threatened legal proceedings if Numsa fails to comply.  Numsa acting spokesperson Patrick Craven described it as an "incredible move", which he said could only mean that Cosatu was now not only politically bankrupt‚ but financially bankrupt as well.  "How else can they explain an attempt to recover money from workers they have expelled and said they no longer want or indeed those who have willingly left their ranks?"  According to Craven, the Food and Allied Workers Union (Fawu) has equally been targeted.  

Read this report in full at BusinessLive.  Read Numsa’s press statement in this regard at Politicsweb


STAFFING / RECRUITMENT

Proposed cut to Eastern Cape teacher posts slated

HeraldLive reports that another crisis is brewing at schools across the Eastern Cape, with education authorities proposing that schools cut teacher posts to make way for remedial educators for pupils with special needs.  But schools across Nelson Mandela Bay held meetings last week to appeal against the decision, saying they could not afford to lose any teacher posts and that the provincial Education Department had not taken into account how many pupils with special needs attended each school.  Education expert Professor Susan van Rensburg questioned whether the department had enough sufficiently trained teachers to handle pupils with special needs.  She also noted that ordinary children were already falling behind due to the shortage of teachers in schools.  Schools had until 17 October to appeal against cuts.

Read this report by Lee-Anne Butler in full at HeraldLive


EMPLOYMENT EQUITY / AFFIRMATIVE ACTION / EQUAL OPPORTUNITY

DCS official in hot water over role in Solidarity delegation to the UN

Cape Times reports that Western Cape deputy commissioner for the Department of Correctional Services (DCS), Freddie Engelbrecht, faces possible disciplinary action over his role in a Solidarity delegation to the UN.  Sources in the department charge that Engelbrecht, who is a member of Solidarity, had gone to the UN in Switzerland to agitate that sanctions be imposed against SA over the government's employment equity laws.  Solidarity made a presentation at a meeting of the UN’s committee for the eradication of all forms of discrimination, but Solidarity CE Dirk Hermann insisted that no call had been made for sanctions to be imposed on the government.  Engelbrecht is adamant the department cannot take action against him because he had gone to Switzerland in his private capacity.

Read this report by Quinton Mtyala in full at Cape Times


PARENTAL LEAVE BENEFITS

Bid for equal leave benefits for adoptive, surrogate parents

Business Report writes that proposed new legislation would offer 10 days of parental leave as well as new leave provisions for parents who adopt or have children through surrogates.  But gender activists argue that all parents should have the same parental leave benefits.  The Labour Law Amendment Bill is currently with Parliament’s portfolio committee on labour, which is considering submissions made last month by Sonke Gender Justice jointly with the Mosaic Training, Service and Healing Centre for Women, and by labour federation Cosatu.  This report goes on to outline the proposals put forward by Sonke and also gives other background information.

Read this report by Kamini Padayachee in full at Business Report


SOCIAL SECURITY / EMPLOYEE BENEFIT FUNDS

Further delay on submission of social security plan to Nedlac

Business Report writes that the government has missed its deadline to submit its social security plan to the National Economic, Development and Labour Council (Nedlac).  The plan was meant to be presented by Treasury and the Department of Social Development (DSD) last month following public assurances from Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa.  The labour and the DSD departments are apparently still bickering over the details and costing of the plan and each still have separate documents.  The DSD released a report last week which gives insight into its thinking on a social security plan.  The report warns that plans to reform retirement funds should not happen as long as there is no comprehensive social security plan.  

Read this report by Amy Musgrave in full at Business Report


WEB LINKS TO LABOUR NEWS ARTICLES ON SATURDAY, 15 OCTOBER AND SUNDAY, 16 OCTOBER 2016

See our listing of links to labour articles published on the internet on Saturday, 15 October and Sunday, 16 October 2016 at SA Labour News


WEB LINKS TO LABOUR NEWS ARTICLES ON FRIDAY, 14 OCTOBER 2016

See our listing of links to labour articles published on the internet on Friday, 14 October 2016 at SA Labour News

 

Get South African labour news reports at SA Labour News