numEWN reports that the National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) says it will meet with management of Gold One’s Modder East Operations on Tuesday, to discuss the demands of some of its members who had been staging an underground sit-in.  

About 66 rock drill operators last week went on a four-day unprotected strike underground at the mine, refusing to resurface until their demands were met.  Union officials went underground on Friday and successfully convinced them to exit the mine.  The NUM’s Livhuwani Mambmburu said:  “They are still demanding the same R250 bonus per blast.  A committee persuaded them to come up from underground.”


Get other news reports at the SA Labour News home page