news shutterstockIn our Thursday roundup, see summaries
of our selection of South African labour-
related stories that have appeared since
midday on Wednesday, 6 April 2016.


MINING LABOUR


Amcu opts for further talks with Sibanye instead of planned strike

BDLive reports that the Association of Mineworkers and Construction Union (Amcu) and Sibanye Gold on Wednesday said the union had agreed to suspend its wage strike, pending further engagement.

Read more...

Glencore lays arson charges after strikers torch trucks at Wonderfontein coal mine

Mining Weekly reports that mining giant Glencore and Umsimbithi Mining on Thursday laid criminal arson charges following the torching of two trucks and offices at the Wonderfontein coal mine.

Read more...

Trapped Lily Mine workers ‘probably dead’

The New Age writes that the three mineworkers trapped underground at Vantage Goldfields’ Lily Mine in Mpumalanga are probably dead by now.

Read more...

Other labour posting(s) in this news category

  • Glencore says SA coal strike violence worsens, at Mineweb
  • Miner dies at Lonmin's JV Pandora shaft following fall-of-ground accident, at Mining Weekly Online


COLLECTIVE BARGAINING / INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS

‘Really important’ to avoid strikes this year, says Ford SA’s boss

Engineering News reports that the SA automotive industry has “worked hard this labour season”, holding a number of “pre-meetings and indabas”, in an effort to be ready for the triennial negotiations to thrash out a new multiyear wage agreement.

Read more...


INDUSTRIAL ACTION / STRIKES / LOCK-OUTS

Joburg hopes for Pikitup strike settlement by end of the week

ANA reports that the City of Johannesburg on Wednesday said it was hoping to reach a settlement with striking workers at its waste-management entity, Pikitup, by the end of this week.

Read more...

All Pikitup’s 4,000 defiant employees found guilty of defying interdicts

The Star reports that all 4,000 Pikitup workers have been found guilty of defying two court interdicts declaring their strike unprotected and ordering them back to work.

Read more...

Transnet labour rift means Durban petrol stations are drying up

Business Report writes that a two-day-old traffic jam blocking the Bayhead Road entrance to Durban Harbour has prevented fuel tankers from getting in or out to collect and then deliver fuel to service stations in the greater Durban area.

Read more...

Metrorail granted interdict against Western Cape train strike by Satawu

Fin24 reports that an interdict has been granted to avert a train strike led by the SA Transport and Allied Workers’ Union (Satawu) from going ahead in the Western Cape, Metrorail said on Thursday.

Read more...

About 900 outsourced workers protest poor pay at Shoprite distribution centre

BDLive reports that workers at a distribution centre owned by food retailer Shoprite have downed tools in protest over poor pay and outsourcing.

Read more...

Uber drivers in SA strike after tariffs cut

Bloomberg reports that Uber Technologies drivers in South Africa have gone on strike after the ride-booking service said tariffs in the country would be cut by as much as 20% to boost demand during the winter months.

Read more...

Last year’s strike has made MTN a target for consumer complaints

BDLive reports that MTN SA is still feeling the effects of a prolonged strike by its workers last year, with the telecoms giant notching up the highest number of complaints against any company in SA.

Read more...

Other internet posting(s) in this news category

  • Pikitup: Intimidation hampers efforts to implement contingency plans, at EWN
  • Mayor talks tough on Pikitup strikers who continue to trash Joburg streets, at TimesLive
  • Parks Tau seeks legal action against Samwu, at The Citizen
  • Robbing of mayor Tau’s wife not connected to his involvement with Pikitup strike, at The New Age
  • Parks Tau dismisses DA’s bubonic plague claims, at The Citizen
  • Pikitup strike continues, but no need yet to panic about plague, says expert, at News24


JOB CREATION

Ford SA’s R2.5bn plant expansions to create 1,200 jobs

HeraldLive reports that Ford Motor Company South Africa is pumping R2.5-billion into plant expansions in preparation for production of a new range of vehicles.

Read more...


RESTRUCTURING / RETRENCHMENTS / COMPANY JOB LOSSES

More employees accept Telkom exit packages

ITWeb reports that some 1,189 employees have left Telkom, either by accepting the company's voluntary severance packages (VSPs) or early retirement packages.

Read more...


WEB LINKS TO LABOUR NEWS ARTICLES ON WEDNESDAY, 6 APRIL 2016

See our listing of links to labour articles published on the internet on Wednesday, 6 April 2016 at SA Labour News

 

Get South African labour news reports at SA Labour News